Monday, June 21, 2010

5 Years

A few months back we celebrated another year with Aiden.  For the first part of his celebration we took him to Sea World.  The coolest thing for him was the sting ray exhibit.  We spent a lot of time there and it was the last thing we had to do before we left.  They swim around in a large shallow pool and you can touch them as they swim by.  Little sister even got brave toward the end and touched one.  They both still talk about it.
It got quite cool in the evening and Ava wouldn't give up her pink one (scroungy old blanket that she can't live without) so we took off her flowered jacket and Aiden wore it around for the night. 
Aiden's birthday party was one of my favorites we've done so far.  The theme for the party was a parade.   We had all the kids bring their bikes, skates, or wagons and we decorated them with flags and tinsel and balloons and crape paper.  Each child got a whistle.  Then we lined up and marched around the neighborhood to marching music.  We waved at all the cars going by and they honked back.  The kids had so much fun doing this.  The banner I made to pull around in the wagon kept blowing over so sweet Juliana kindly rode around in the wagon holding it for me. 
Then we came back to the house for cupcakes.  I made them that morning.  The first batch I made I forgot to put in the oil.  The next batch was perfect but I didn't have enough ingredients to make a new thid batch.  The cupcake I tried was awesome but I think it's a good thing kids aren't picky.
Next it was out to the back yard for a water fight to cool off.
We had watermelon and cooked hot dogs and had snow cones.  Wyatt's Uncle has a snow cone machine that we borrowed.  It's always a crowd pleaser.  They bought it 30 plus years ago and it has gone to good use at many ward and family party activities. 

As the kids left I had a candy station set up so they could make their own goodie bags.  This seemed to be a big hit.  All in all it was just a fantastic day celebrated with friends and family. 


5 things about Aiden:

1. He is super smart.  Not much gets by him. He is a math and science guy and very analytical.
2. He gives the most awesome 5 year old prayers.
3. He has a love affair with candy. 
4. Loves movies just like his Dad.
5. Has a love dislike very much relationship with his little sister.  Only two years appart seams really close now.  I am sure they will be best of friends as they get older but boy can they push each others buttons.
6. Bonus:  He is one of the coolest kids ever.  We love him very much and am so glad he is part of our family.

2 comments:

Christy and Jason said...

What a great birthday party---so many great ideas to steal:)

Ben and Ashley said...

Can you throw our next birthday party! You are amazing!