Shortly after high
school, I went to Weber state University to begin my undergraduate degree and
was there on an academic scholarship and was also working part time to get
ready for a mission. Due to the load, I decided not to attend my institute
class. One day when I was studying, a young lady that I had known from high
school came by and mentioned she had seen my name on the roll for the institute
class she was enrolled in, but she hadn’t seen me there. And she put her arm in mine and said
“Come on, let’s go to institute.”
In the class that day,
the instructor was covering Mormon chapters eight and nine and in Mormon eight
verse thirty-five, Moroni is speaking after his father Mormon has been killed
and he says, “Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are
not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.” Verse thirty-six “And I
know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few
only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts.” Well that
certainly seems to define our day. He then asked us,
“If I were to give you the opportunity to go skiing all day with a free ski
pass at a local resort, how many of you would be interested?” Well, I raised my hand.
He then changed the
topic and said, “If I were to offer you an opportunity to go to a local nursing
home and chat with and care for the elderly, how many of you would go?” My hand wasn’t
quite as quick to come up on that question. Then we went to verse thirty-seven,
“For behold, ye do love your money and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches more than ye love the poor and the needy and the sick and afflicted.” Boy that was like a dagger to my heart. The things that seemed to matter most according to Moroni were not things at all. They’re people and the gospel. In that moment, I began to sense that maybe, by letting my institute class slip that I had not been focusing on things that mattered most
“For behold, ye do love your money and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches more than ye love the poor and the needy and the sick and afflicted.” Boy that was like a dagger to my heart. The things that seemed to matter most according to Moroni were not things at all. They’re people and the gospel. In that moment, I began to sense that maybe, by letting my institute class slip that I had not been focusing on things that mattered most
Verse thirty-eight: “O
ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which
will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to
take upon you the name of Christ? Why do we not think that greater is the value
of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise
of the world?” Now verse thirty seven, it talks about churches, maybe we could
rationalize that it’s other religions, but in verse thirty eight, it mentions
that the holy church of God has become polluted because of mispriorities because those who are members are not focusing on
things that they should .
And
then finally, verse thirty-nine: “Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which
hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the
sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not?” I decided to never
miss institute class again unless I was really sick or there was an emergency for the next four years
of my undergraduate work, I made sure I attended institute and made sure I put
the things of God first and then tried to make and application in my life with
what I was learning. What are your priorities?
Except where otherwise noted, this work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution-NOnCommercial 4.0 International License. © 2015 by Brigham Young University-Idaho].
Except where otherwise noted, this work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution-NOnCommercial 4.0 International License. © 2015 by Brigham Young University-Idaho].
No comments:
Post a Comment