And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.
3 Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
The next thing Enos does is ask the Lord how is it that his sins are forgiven. The Lord answers, "Because of thy faith in Christ,whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made the whole."
After hearing this, Enos begins to be concerned for the welfare of the soles of his brethren. Isn't this how we feel when we come to understand some great truth or insight to the gospel? It makes us want to share our "good news" with others. Enos continues to pray to the Lord with all diligence and the Lord grants Enos the desires of his heart. Now, spoiler alert for the Book of Mormon. In verse 13 we learn the desires of Enos's heart:
13 And now behold, this was the desire which I desired of him—that if it should so be, that my people, the Nephites,should fall into transgression, and by any means be destroyed, and the Lamanites should not be destroyed,that the Lord God would preserve a record of my people, the Nephites; even if it so be by the power of his holy arm, that it might be brought forth at some future day unto the Lamanites, that, perhaps, they might be brought unto salvation—
Now isn't this just exactly what happens! I love to see what Enos does next. Instead of giving up hope because of the struggles with the Lamanites, he gets to work. He goes about prophesying of the things to come. He does missionary work.
What a great opportunity we have to learn from this prophet's example. He reminds us that we need to always be humble, keep the commandments, and continually remember the judgments and power of God to keep us from going down a path of destruction. The word of Enos are plain and easy to understand.
Enos is a short book in the Book of Mormon but has much for us to learn.
Enos
No comments:
Post a Comment